Monday, May 01, 2006

NOOD Postscript

I went the the post race party to quickly grab our loot and go. I'm not much for these big parties. I when LinGin was called, I made my way forward and took our bag of goodies and noticing C.B. and Towneys' crews sitting up front, went over to congratulate them.

They were all so encouraging and excited for us, and it really made me be proud to be part of this great Alberg 30 class. We were the oldest class in the NOOD. (Did you know that LinGin is 39 years old this year?!) Those guys are very classy and I'm really proud to have them as competitors.

Towney, as many of you know, has a special place in my heart. He is one of the most giving people I have ever known. He will take time, energy and money to help you out, and he'll do it expecting nothing in return. He is one of the best sailors I've ever known, and one of the most humble. (It's actually quite madding at times; I want to know all the technical reasons why he won, but he keeps it very simple.) He's an excellent craftsman as well, and reminds me a great deal of my grandfather in that regard. I have truly enjoyed the time we have spent together working on Alberg projects.

Upon congratulating me with a handclasp, he smiled widely and said, "I'm so sorry! I felt so bad!" I laughed, and told him if there was anyone I was ok with losing to, it was him. I told him how incredible I found it that here he was at 82 (I think that's right), terrorizing us 'kids' less than half his age. I only pray that I am in such great shape at that age. With that he wrapped his arms around me in a big hug, and said, "I love you Timmy". "I love you too, Towney," I said back almost choking up.

That was quite possily one of the most special moments of my life.

--Tim

No comments: